MLS  Major League SoccerMLS


MLS Standings

MLS Directory


Major League Soccer

Razov finds net twice as Chicago squelches MetroStars 3-1 to tie Tampa Bay atop Central Division.

CHICAGO (Sunday August 6, 2000) -- Ante Razov scored twice and the Chicago Fire totally squelched the MetroStars attack in a 3-1 Major League Soccer decision before 19,549 at Soldier Field this afternoon.

The MetroStars’ only shot on goal was on Roy Myers successful penalty kick to minutes into game-ending injury time.

Razov put the Fire (12-8-5, 41 points), which moved back into a first place tie with Tampa Bay in the Central Division, ahead 1-0 in the 41st minute, flashing a header past goalkeeper Mike Ammann. Midfielder Chris Armas had collected a MetroStars clearance and played the ball wide to Mike Sorber. Sorber looped a cross to Razov who nodded his shot just inside the far post.

"We tried to dump one in and then it got back to Sorber and he played it right back in the first time," Razov said. "And I was able to just get a head on it and just flicked it past Ammann."

Razov made it 2-0 in the 56th minute, finishing off a DaMarcus Beasley centering pass for his 15th goal. Beasley, who entered the game in the 13th minute after a left knee injury forced defender Lubos Kubik to the sidelines, used his speed to intercept a MetroStars pass and streak down the left flank. Beasley pulled up quickly and threaded the ball to the top of the arc to a waiting Razov. Unmarked, Razov was able to tee up a low shot beat Ammann into the left corner.

"We had to take (Kubik) out, he could not continue today," Chicago coach Bob Bradley said. "He re-injured his MCL and we'll need to see how he progresses in the coming days."

The MetroStars (13-9-2) were awarded a penalty kick in the second minute of extra time after Beasley fouled Petter Villegas inside the box. Just three minutes after midfielder Roy Myers converted the attempt to make the score 2-1, he was ejected from the game after disrupting forward Hristo Stoitchkov's breakaway run. Stoitchkov beat Ammann from the spot to seal the 3-1 victory.

The MetroStars had been reduced to 10 men in the 70th minute when midfielder Tab Ramos was ejected for a retaliatory spiking of defender Carlos Bocanegra who had practically yanked his jersey off.

"It was a typical game between the two teams," said MetroStars coach Octavio Zambrano. "The physical aspect was superior to the technique abilities and that's unfortunate. The physical aspect took us out of the game. We let them have the game. Some of our players were intimidated by the rough play. We have to take this loss with dignity. We have to regroup and get back to basics and they thing that we do best. We have to put this loss aside and look forward to the next challenge."

Chicago Fire 3, MetroStars 1

Lineups: Chicago - Zach Thornton, C.J. Brown (Tom Soehn 88), Andrew Lewis, Carlos Bocanegra, Chris Armas, Mike Sorber, Evan Whitfield, Dema Kovalenko, Lubos Kubik (DaMarcus Beasley 14), Josh Wolff, Ante Razov (Hristo Stoitchkov 68). MetroStars - Mike Ammann, Thomas Dooley (Steve Shak 58), Steve Jolley, Mike Petke, Billy Walsh, Ramiro Corrales (Roy Myers 67), Petter Villegas, Mark Chung, Tab Ramos, Clint Mathis, Adolfo Valencia (Mark Semioli 76). Scoring:
Chicago - Razov (Armas, Sorber) 41.
Chicago - Razov (Beasley) 56
MetroStars - Myers (penalty kick) 92+.
Chicago - Stoitchkov (penalty kick) 95+.

Total shots: Chicago 14 (Razov 5), MetroStars 3 (Mathis 1, Myers 1, Chung 1). Shots on goal: Chicago 8 (Razov 4), MetroStars 1 (Myers 1). Saves: Chicago - Thornton 0; MetroStars - Ammann 4. Chicago 18 (Brown 3, Bocanegra 3, Sorber 3), MetroStars 21 (Mathis 6). Offside: Chicago 2, MetroStars 4. Corner kicks: Chicago 4, MetroStars 0. Yellow card cautions: Chicago - Brown 15, Whitfield 60, Wolff 70; MetroStars - Dooley 50, Villegas 55, Mathis 58, Myers 86. Red card ejections: MetroStars - Ramos 70, Myers 95+. Possession percentage: Chicago 51, MetroStars 49.

Referee: Brian Hall. Referee's assistants: Cory Dean, Tarek Khan. Attendance: 19,549 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Weather: Sunny, steamy, 86 degrees, overcast.

Saturday game

New England Revolution 1, Columbus Crew 1 (2OT)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Wolde Harris scored the tying goal in the 88th minute -- countering a goal from four minutes earlier -- and the New England Revolution (9-10-6, 33 points) managed a 1-1 draw with the Columbus Crew (10-11-5, 35 points) before 19,809 at Foxboro Stadium.

Midfielder Robert Warzycha put Columbus ahead 1-0 in the 84th minute, curling a free kick around the New England wall and into the upper corner for his sixth goal past goalkeeper and former teammate Juergen Sommer. The free kick was called just outside the edge of the penalty area, where forward Jeff Cunningham had been tripped.

Harris capitalized on a William Sunsing play. Sunsing had harassed the Crew defense since entering the game in the second half, but had been unable to finish any chances. After being turned away several times, Sunsing finally broke past the defense, drawing keeper Mark Dougherty off his line. Sunsing's square ball found the feet of Harris, who easily found net for the fourth straight game.

"Both teams had a lot of chances and both teams missed some opportunities," Columbus coach Tom Fitzgerald said. "I am not totally discouraged with the tie, just a little for not getting three points tonight. It was a very uncharacteristic mistake for Bob Warzycha (getting stripped by William Sunsing for the tying goal). He doesn't make many of those mistakes."

Despite aggressive, end-to-end play in the overtime periods, neither side could find an advantage. In the 97th minute of play, Columbus midfielder Mario Gori was apparently knocked unconscious in a collision with Harris, whose knee struck the Argentine in the temple as he attempted a slide tackle.

After a brief stoppage in play, Gori walked off the field under his own power and he watched the remainder of the game from the sidelines before going to the lockerroom.

New England Revolution 1, Columbus Crew 1 (2OT)

Lineups: New England - Juergen Sommer, Joe Franchino, Brian Dunseth, Mauricio Wright, Rusty Pierce, John Harkes, Imad Baba (William Sunsing 60), Jamar Beasley, Carlos Parra, Jose Luis Morales (Johnny Torres 76), Wolde Harris. Columbus - Mark Dougherty, Mario Gori (Roland Aguilera 99), Mike Lapper, Todd Yeagley, Ansil Elcock, John Wilmar Perez (Matt Chulis 86), Robert Warzycha, Jason Farrell, Miles Joseph (Mike Duhaney 86), Brian McBride, Jeff Cunningham

Columbus - Warzycha (unassisted) 84.
New England - Harris (Sunsing) 88.

Total shots: New England 26 (Harris 7), Columbus 15 (McBride 4). Shots on goal: New England 10 (Harris 4), Columbus (Elcock 1, Farrell 1, Warzycha 1). Saves: New England - Sommer 2; Columbus - Dougherty 8. Fouls: New England 20 (Beasley 4), Columbus 20 (Elcock 3, Yeagley 3, Gori 3). Offside: New England 2, Columbus 2. Corner kicks: New England 7, Columbus 5. Yellow card cautions: New England - Harris 64; Columbus - Lapper 39, Chulis 87. Possession percentage: New England 55, Columbus 45.

Referee: Noel Kenny. Referee's assistants: Nathan Clement, Craig Lowry. Attendance: 19,809 at Foxboro Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. Weather: Sunny

©Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved