MLS  Major League SoccerMLS


MLS Standings

MLS Directory


MLS roundup

Agogo records another winner, a golden goal as Denver downs Galaxy 1-0.

DENVER (Saturday, June 10, 2000) -- Striker Junior Agogo netted his fourth game-winning goal of the season five minutes into sudden death, giving the Colorado Rapids a 1-0 decision over Los Angeles tonight, narrowing the Galaxy’s hold on second place in Major League Soccer’s Western Division.

"This was the best 90 minutes we have played all season," Colorado coach Glenn Myernick said. "We have had several games where we have played one good half, or even more, but tonight we were good all night."

In the fifth and final minute of the first of two overtime periods before 13,431 at Mile High Stadium, veteran Galaxy defender Paul Caligiuri attempted to clear a dangerous ball from inside the L.A. penalty area. The clearance found Agogo instead and he teed up a shot from the edge of the box, hitting Galaxy defender Robin Fraser in front of the net. Los Angeles goalkeeper Kevin Hartman could not react quickly enough to stop the redirected ball and watched it slip inside the left post.

"The shot obviously hit the defender and went in, and that's just the way it is going for me right now," Agogo said. "I just hope I can keep it going and we can get back to winning games consistently."

The Galaxy was playing shorthanded at the time with defender Ezra Hendrickson ejected from the game in the 72nd minute after receiving his second yellow card of the game following a tackle of Colorado's Paul Bravo.

The goal marked Los Angeles' first loss in seven overtime games this season; the first six ended in ties. Colorado succeeded in its first foray into the sudden death in 2000.

Colorado (7-8, 21 points) dominated much of the offensive effort in the game, holding healthy advantages over the Galaxy in both shots and shots on goal.

Los Angeles (6-3-6, 24 points) played without leading scorer Cobi Jones and starting defender Greg Vanney. Both are with the United States national team which is playing in the Nike U.S. Cup. Galaxy forward Luis Hernandez, who played in the U.S. Cup for Mexico on Wednesday, returned to Los Angeles for the weekend rather than play for his national team against the U.S. tomorrow.

"Chris Martinez was super tonight," Myernick said of his defender. "One of our focuses was to contain Hernandez, of course, and he did a great job on him. One of the few times Hernandez did lose Marty, (goalkeeper) Adin Brown came up big and kept us in it, so it was a great team effort tonight to get the shutout."

Colorado Rapids 1, Los Angeles Galaxy 0 (OT)

Lineups: Colorado Adin Brown, Scott Vermillion, Keyeno Thomas, Marcelo Balboa, Chris Martinez, David Vaudreuil, Paul Bravo, Henry Zambrano (Ross Paule 46), Jason Moore, Junior Agogo, Paul Dougherty (Anders Limpar 91). Los Angeles - Kevin Hartman, Ezra Hendrickson, Zak Ibsen (Sasha Victorine 75), Paul Caligiuri, Danny Califf, Simon Elliott, Mauricio Cienfuegos, Brian Kelly (Robin Fraser 57), Peter Vagenas, Seth George (Ivan Polic 78), Luis Hernandez.

Colorado - Agogo (unassisted) 95.

Total shots: Colorado 19 (Agogo 7), Los Angeles 10 (Hernandez 4). Shots on goal: Colorado 7 (Agogo 3), Los Angeles 2 (Hernandez 1, George 1). Saves: Colorado - Brown 2; Los Angeles - Hartman 4. Fouls: Colorado 14 (Thomas 3, Martinez 3), Los Angeles 17 (Hendrickson 3, Hernandez 3). Offside: Colorado 3, Los Angeles 5. Corner kicks: Colorado 6, Los Angeles 5. Yellow card cautions: Colorado - Vermillion 55, Agogo 86; Los Angeles - Hendrickson 26. Red card ejection: Los Angeles - Hendrickson (second yellow card) 72. Possession percentage: Colorado 49, Los Angeles 51.

Referee: Paul Tamberino. Referee's assistants: Terry Vaughn, Rudy Bettman. Attendance: 13,431 at Mile High Stadium in Denver. Weather: Sunny, clear.

New England Revolution 3, San Jose Earthquakes 0

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Reserve striker Jamar Beasley’s first two MLS goals helped the New England Revolution (7-4-4, 25 points) solidify its hold on first place in the Eastern Division with a 3-0 whitewash of the San Jose Earthquakes (3-7-4, 13 points) before 14,109 at Foxboro Stadium.

Midfielder Ted Chronopoulos opened the scoring with his fifth goal in the 28th minute. Playing in 95 degree heat, the teams got off to a slow start before Johnny Torres sent in a cross from the right end line which was partially deflected. The ball went high and parallel to the crossbar before falling on the left side of the goal line where Chronopoulos charged onto it, tapping it home for his fourth goal in as many games and a 1-0 lead.

Beasley came into the game for Torres in the 67th minute and scored seven minutes later. Imad Baba sent a cross in from the right side and Beasley beat San Jose defender John Doyle to the near post and nodded the ball in between goalkeeper Joe Cannon and the woodwork to make it 2-0.

"I don't know if I could describe how I feel," Beasley said. "This is the best day of my life. I'm so happy to be here playing for the Revolution."

Beasley’s second goal came in the 89th minute and was started by a Wolde Harris feed into the left side of the box. Beasley ran at the goalkeeper and then made an impressive cut to the right leaving him a wide open net to shoot at.

"It's something I've been doing since I was 12," Beasley said. "I go at goalkeepers, stop on a dime and make it go in."

San Jose (0-7-2 on the road), playing without Ronald Cerritos and Khodadad Azizi, had the opportunities to score first on a high shot by Abdul Thompson Conteh in the 14th minute and a Ian Russell header which was saved by Revs goalkeeper Jeff Causey two minutes later.

In the second half, however, the Earthquakes could only manage one shot on goal as New England posted its second straight shutout, finishing strong.

Mauricio Wright had a standout performance on the Revolution defense against his former teammates. He was dangerous on his one offensive attack in the 56th minute with a header which sailed over the crossbar.

Wright was traded to New England on May 30 for Dan Calichman, Mike Burns and a draft pick.

New England Revolution 3, San Jose Earthquakes 0

Lineups: New England - Jeff Causey, Brian Dunseth, Joe Franchino, Mauricio Wright, Rusty Pierce, John Harkes (Carlos Parra 92+), Ted Chronopoulos (Paul Keegan 87), Imad Baba, Leonel Alvarez, Wolde Harris, Johnny Torres (Jamar Beasley 67). San Jose - Joe Cannon, Dan Calichman, John Doyle, Jim Conrad, Mike Burns, Dario Brose, Mauricio Solis, Ian Russell (Travis Mulraine 75), Richard Mulrooney, Harut Karapetyan (Wojtek Krakowiak 66), Abdul Thompson Conteh.

New England - Chronopoulos (Torres, Harkes) 28.
New England - Beasley (Baba, Alvarez) 74.
New England - Beasley (Harris, Keegan) 88.

Total shots: New England 19 (Harries 6), San Jose 8 (Mulrooney 2, Conteh 2). Shots on goal: New England 9 (Beasley 2, Harris 2, Torres 2), San Jose 4 (four players with 1). Saves: New England - Causey 2; San Jose - Cannon 6. Fouls: New England 15 (Alvarez 5, Harris 5), San Jose 18 (Doyle 4, Conrad 4). Offside: New England 3, San Jose 4. Corner kicks: New England 4, San Jose 6. Yellow card cautions: New England - Parra 93+; San Jose - Mulrooney 54, Conteh 77. Possession percentage: New England 55, San Jose 45.

Referee: Brett Hugo. Referee's assistants: Richard Eddy, Thomas Supple. Attendance: 14,109 at Foxboro Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. Weather: Sunny, 89 degrees.

Miami Fusion 4, Chicago Fire 2

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Miami Fusion climbed back into second place in the Eastern Division Saturday night, posting a 4-2 victory over the visiting Chicago Fire before 7208 at Lockhart Stadium.

Forward Diego Serna and midfielder Martin Machon each contributed a goal and an assist in the victory, while midfielder Welton had two assists.

Fusion defender Jay Heaps gave Miami a 1-0 lead just before halftime, redirecting a long Henry Gutierrez free kick while in full stride for the goal in the 43rd minute. Heaps' flashing header beat Chicago goalkeeper Chris Snitko to the far post.

"We did a lot tonight to make our lives difficult," said Chicago coach Bob Bradley. "We had a bunch of chances before the first Miami goal, but couldn't finish them, something that has hurt of all season. And then we give up a goal on a set piece. Set pieces continue to give us trouble so far this year."

Chicago (8-7-1) failed on a prime chance to tie the game in first-half injury time after striker Josh Wolff was whacked by Fusion midfielder Jim Rooney in he penalty area, but Chicago’s Dema Kovalenko hit the left post with his penalty kick.

Rooney redeemed himself in the 62nd minute to make it 2-0. He played a pass to Welton wide on the right side and Welton crossed the ball back in front of the net. Rooney ran unmarked onto the cross and headed it past keeper Chris Snitko.

Kovalenko narrowed the Fire’s deficit to 2-1 in the 70th minute, tapping home a loose ball into the empty net. Midfielder Peter Nowak's cross came to a crowd of players in front of the Fusion goal, but the ball squirted out to a wide-open Kovalenko who coolly converted from the right side.

Minutes later, however, the Fusion (5-6-5, 19 points) restored its two-goal margin. Serna crossed a ball to Nelson Vargas from the flank in the 73rd minute and the Miami native pushed the ball out to the top of the box. Machon ran onto the ball, beating Snitko for his second goal of the season and a 3-1 bulge.

Serna made it 4-1 in the 76th minute, beating Snitko with a spectacular side volley shot from the edge of the penalty area. Welton and Machon combined to set up the play, and Serna's finish gave him a team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Second-half Fire substitute Evan Whitfield finalized the score wih a meaningless tally in the 89th minute, nodding home a Kovalenko cross to make the final score 4-2.

Miami Fusion 4, Chicago Fire 2

Lineups: Miami - Nick Rimando, Jay Heaps, Leo Cullen, Pablo Mastroeni, Brian Kamler, Henry Gutierrez (Jeff Bilyk 71), Jim Rooney, Nelson Vargas, Martin Machon, Diego Serna, Roy Lassiter (Welton 46). Chicago - Chris Snitko, Carlos Bocanegra (DaMarcus Beasley 62), C.J. Brown, Andrew Lewis, Jesse Marsch, Diego Gutierrez, Sam George (Evan Whitfield 52), Peter Nowak, Dema Kovalenko, Josh Wolff, Hristo Stoitchkov (John Wolyniec 17).

Miami - Heaps (Gutierrez) 43.
Miami - Rooney (Welton) 62.
Chicago - Kovalenko (Nowak) 70.
Miami - Machon (Vargas, Serna) 73.
Miami - Serna (Welton, Machon) 76.
Chicago - Whitfield (Kovalenko, Marsch) 89.

Total shots: Miami 13 (Machon 3), Chicago 18 (Kovalenko 5). Shots on goal: Miami 8 (Heaps 2, Machon 2), Chicago 6 (Kovalenko 2, Whitfield 2). Saves: Miami - Rimando 4; Chicago - Snitko 4. Fouls: Miami 22 (Serna 6), Chicago 20 (Marsch 5). Offside: Miami 10, Chicago 2. Corner kicks: Mimai 4, Chicago 1. Yellow card cautions: Miami - Lassiter 5, Bilyk 86; Chicago - Marsch 20, Kovalenko 43, Bocanegra 59, Nowak 82. Possession percentage: Miami 50, Chicago 50. Referee: Alex Prus. Referee's assistants: Roger Sill, Greg Watson. Attendance: 7,208 at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Weather: Overcast, 82 degrees, breezy.

Columbus Crew 1, Dallas Burn 1 (2OT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Jason Farrell notched his first goal of the season in the 76th minute as Columbus rallied to tie Dallas 1-1 before 14,925 at Crew Stadium.

Rookie Aleksey Korol recorded his second goal in as many games for the Burn.

By earning a draw on the road, the Burn (5-8-2, 17 points) took four of a possible six points from its Central Division rival, the Crew (5-7-3, 18 points) this week. Dallas stunned Columbus 3-2 on Wednesday at the Cotton Bowl, on the strength of two goals in the final seven minutes.

It took the Burn just four minutes to get on the scoreboard when Korol finished a chance created by Paul Broome. Oscar Pareja played a ball down the left wing for Broome, who cut back in the box, dribbling through Columbus' Brian West and Robert Waryzycha. Broome picked out an open Korol six yards out, and the rookie slotted the ball past Crew goalkeeper Matt Napoleon to make it 1-0.

Dallas took the 1-0 lead into halftime, just the second time this season that the Burn led a game at the break.

Columbus tied the game in the 72nd minute after Dallas midfielder Tec Eck misplayed a long Warzycha throw in from the right corner. Jason Farrell pounced on the ball and beat Dallas goalkeeper Matt Jordan from 15 yards out with a low shot to the lower left-hand corner. It was Farrell's ninth MLS career goal, his first since April 28, 1999.

The Crew controlled play after getting the equalizer, generating several quality chances. The best coming in the 76th minute when Jeff Cunningham bent a long shot through traffic and off the right post from about 22 yards.

"It was pretty evident that both teams were fairly fatigued, especially at the end of the game," said Columbus coach Tom Fitzgerald. "Again it was tale of two halves, only this time we couldn't really get anything going in the first half. In the second half, we played much better and Farrell comes in and gives us a little boost and got an equalizer. I'm going to see the Cunningham shot in my dreams for the next couple of night because I thought it was going in."

Dallas had the best scoring opportunity in overtime. Burn forward Ariel Graziani took a cross in tight against Napoleon, but the Crew keeper made a desperate kick save and pounced on the rebound before Graziani could react.

Napoleon made his second straight start in place of Mark Dougherty who remains sidelined with a sprained neck. Columbus was also without striker Brian McBride, who is competing with the United States in the U.S. Cup. Also away with the American team was Dallas striker and 1999 MLS "Most Valuable Player" Jason Kreis.

Columbus Crew 1, Dallas Burn 1 (2OT)

Lineups: Columbus - Matt Napoleon, Todd Yeagley, Michael Clark, Mario Gori, Brian West, Roland Aguilera (John DeBrito 66), Robert Warzycha, Ansil Elcock (Jason Farrell 61), John Wilmar Perez, Dante Washington (Miles Joseph 81), Jeff Cunningham. Dallas - Matt Jordan, Eric Dade (Chad Deering 86), Jorge Rodriguez, Ricardo Iribarren (Richard Farrer 46), Lazo Alavanja, Oscar Pareja, Ted Eck, Sergi Daniv, Paul Broome, Aleksey Korol (Bobby Rhine 74), Ariel Graziani.

Dallas - Korol (Broome, Pareja) 4.
Columbus - Farrell (unassisted) 72.

Total shots: Columbus 12 (five players with 2), Dallas 12 (Graziani 5). Shots on goal: Columbus 3 (Farrell 1, Warzycha 1, Cunningham 1), Dallas 6 (Graziani 2, Korol 2). Saves: Columbus - Napoleon 4; Dallas - Jordan 2. Fouls: Columbus 15 (Aguilera 3, West 3), Dallas 20 (Iribarren 3, Pareja 3). Offside: Columbus 1, Dallas 1. Corner kicks: Columbus 3, Dallas 2. Yellow card cautions: Columbus - Warzycha 33; Dallas - Eck 26, Alavanja 88, Deering 91+. Possession percentage: Columbus 56, Dallas 44.

Referee: Scott Weyland. Referee's assistants: Chip Reed, J.R. Perdue. Attendance: 14,925 at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. Weather: Hot, hazy, 88 degrees, overcast.

D.C. United 0, Kansas City Wizards 0 (official game halted at halftime)

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards battled to an abbreviated 0-0 draw before 21,035 at RFK Stadium after the lighting system malfunctioned and the problem could not be rectified.

The match was delayed for more than an hour after the teams returned to the field for the beginning of the second half. When attempts to repair the lighting system were unsuccessful, the result was declared official per MLS regulations.

MLS rules dictate that a game is considered official following the first half, should completion of the match not be possible due to adverse conditions. United president and general manager Kevin Patne, a member of the MLS competition committee said he could not remember when the league changed from the standard of world governing body FIFA, which requires 65 minutes be played before a result is official. Payne said he would appeal to the league office for a full replay of the match.

D.C. United (3-9-3, 12 points) had the better chances in the scoreless first half. United midfielder Bobby Convey dribbled through a pair of Wizards defenders and uncorked a low hard shot that Kansas City goalkeeper Tony Meola tipped wide of the post in the 34th minute. Another rookie, Eric Denton, lofted a shot from 20 yards out which sailed over Meola's head and off the crossbar in the 38th minute.

Jaime Moreno made his return for United, after missing the last two games with a hamstring injury. D.C. was without standout defenders Carlos Llamosa, Jeff Agoos, and midfielder Ben Olsen who were with the United States national team competing in the U.S. Cup.

Kansas City (10-1-3, 33 points) was without top scorer Miklos Molnar who is competing for Denmark in Euro 2000.

Wizards goalkeeper Tony Meola recorded his league-leading 10th shutout, making five saves. United keeper Tom Presthus earns his first shutout of the season after making just one save.

D.C. United 0, Kansas City Wizards 0 (game halted at halftime)

Lineups: D.C. United Tom Presthus, Eddie Pope, Eric Denton, Carey Talley, Bobby Convey, Judah Cooks, Richie Williams, Chris Albright, Marco Etcheverry, Raul Diaz Arce, Jaime Moreno. Kansas City - Tony Meola, Brandon Prideaux, Chris Klein, Nick Garcia, Peter Vermes, Kerry Zavagnin, Matt McKeon, Preki, Chris Henderson, Gary Glasgow, Mo Johnston.

Scoring: none

Total shots: D.C. United 8 (Diaz Arce 2), Kansas City 3 (Zavagnin 1, Glasgow 1, Preki 1). Shots on goal: D.C. United 5 (five players with 1), Kansas City 1 (Zavagnin 1). Saves: D.C. United - Presthus 1; Kansas City - Meola 5. Fouls: D.C. United 6 (Albright 3, Etcheverry 3), Kansas City 10 (Vermes 2, McKeon 2, Henderson 2). Offside: D.C. United 5, Kansas City 2. Corner kicks: D.C. United 4, Kansas City 3. Yellow card cautions: D.C. United - Etcheverry 5, Convey 35; Kansas City - Johnston 16. Possession percentage: D.C. United 40, Kansas City 60.

Referee: Marcel Yonan. Referee's assistants: George Vergara, Jon Wilson. Attendance: 21,035 at RFK Stadium in Washingoon, D.C. Weather: Hot, 92 degrees.

©Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved