1999 Tournament Bracket

Men's top 25

How the Men's Top 25 Fared

Men's scores

Men's Player of the Week

College soccer

EF Sports

NCAA men's tournament

Lewis, Zeiky provide late goals for UConn which stuns Furman 3-2.

STORRS, Conn. (Sunday, December 5, 1999) -- Darin Lewis and Max Zeiky scored late goals within a two-minute, 15-second span to turn a one-goal deficit into No. 5 Connecticut's 12th straight victory 3-2 over seventh-ranked Furman before 4,648 at Morrone Stadium this afternoon.

Controversy surrounded the game-winner at 82:29 with Furman claiming the ball hit a UConn hand before Zeiky, a center back, headed in a corner kick by Brent Rahim to complete the Huskies' second comeback of the day.

UConn (19-4) faces Santa Clara Friday in a Men's College Cup semifinal at 4 p.m. (ET) in at Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. The game will be televised by espn2.

Connecticut tied the score at 2-2 at 80:14. Reserve Mike Mordocco received a pass in the penalty area and fed Donny Mark who quickly slid one more pass to Lewis for a seven-yard game-tying goal.

The Paladins (21-2-1), who entered the game with the best Division I record in the nation, riding the nation's longest winning streak of 14, jumped to a 1-0 lead at 32:06 when John Bradford took control of a loose ball in the box and fired a shot past goalkeeper Matt Chavlovich.

UConn tied the score at 1-1 at 41:23 when Lewis sent a backheel pass to Rui Fernandes who crossed into the box to Rahim who blasted his shot into the lower left corner.

Furman moved back on top 2-1 at 59:19 when the Huskies muffed a clearing play and John Barry Nusum converted a 10-yard shot.

The 19 wins are the most victories in a single season for UConn since winning the national championship with a 20-3-2 mark in 1981. It's the Huskies fourth Final Four visit. the 1981 team posted a

Connecticut sported a 16-12 advantage in shots on goal and an 11-5 edge in corner kicks. Chavlovich was called on to make five saves for UConn while Scott Blount had seven saves for Furman.

[2] Indiana 3, [8] Penn State 0

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Pat Noonan had a goal, then assisted one of Alexsey Korol's two tallies as No. 2 Indiana, the defending national champion, rallied from a scoreless tie at intermission to drop eighth-ranked Penn State 3-0 in a NCAA tournament quarterfinal at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Indiana (19-3) faces UCLA (19-2) Friday in a Men's College Cup semifinal at 6:30 p.m. (ET) in at Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte, N.C.

Indiana took a 1-0 lead at 47:59 just one minute after Hoosiers defender Nick Garcia cleared a Penn State shot off the goal line.

Matt Fundenberger headed a left-side throw-in he ball to a pack of the players and Noonan one-touched the pass to the upper left-hand corner from six yards out.

"I happened to be in the right place at the right time," said Noonan. "Fundy had a great flick to me. I didn't really see the ball, but luckily my foot saw it."

Two minutes later, it was IU goalkeeper T.J. Hannig who rejected a point-blank header.

Noonan proved to be the playmaker at the 67:52 mark when he sent a long cross into the box to Korol who headed home a shot for a 2-0 advantage. It marked the fifth straight game that Korol scored a goal in and the eighth time in nine games.

Korol wasted little time picking up his 20th goal of the season when he once again headed a cross into the net, this one from Yuri Lavrinenko.

"Aleksey and Yuri are just two of the best offensive players in college soccer," said Hoosiers coach Jerry Yeagley. "That third goal was the exclamation point on things. For (the seniors') last game in Bill Armstrong Stadium, that's as pretty of a goal you'll see."

The two-goal game was Korol's third multi-goal game of the season and he became the seventh IU player to tally 20 or more goals in a single season. His 48 points this season is the 10th highest single-season mark in school history. He now ranks fifth in career goals (57) and is tied for fourth with 139 points.

"If I were neutral, I would have enjoyed that game," said PSU coach Barry Gorman, whose team ended 19-4-1. "It was a good game. But I am bitterly disappointed for our kids."

[13] Santa Clara 3, [18t] Alabama-Birmingham 2 (OT)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Michael Goehring netted the winning goal his second tally of the match -- in the 13th minute of sudden death for No. 13 Santa Clara which survived with a 3-2 victory over 18th-ranked Alabama-Birmingham in the rain at West Campus Field.

Santa Clara faces Connecticut (19-4) Friday in a Men's College Cup semifinal at 4 p.m. (ET) in at Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. The game will be televised by espn2.

"It was a tough game," said SCU coach Mitch Murray. "I told everyone UAB was playing the best soccer in the country. They were all we could handle and even more. They are a great team. (Coach) Mike (Getman) has done a great job with them. The conditions made it tough for both teams. Both teams played their hearts out. It's a shame one team goes home."

UAB (17-6) forced overtime by tying the score at 2-2 with 1:27 remaining. Peter Byaruhanga evened things by dribbling past several defenders from 35 yards out and connecting from five yards

UAB's Ned Crancer received a red card at the 27:20 mark, forcing the Blazers to play short-handed the rest of the match.

Brett Davis struck first for Santa Clara (15-3-3), connecting off an assist from Shawn Percell for a 1-0 lead at 41:55.

Flavio Monteiro tied it at 1-1 for UAB at 61:53.

Goehring made it 2-1 for the Broncos at 78:56 off an assist from Sean-Michael Callahan.

"It was a very hard fought game by two very good teams," said UAB coach Mike Getman. "I honestly believe the best team in the country won't play next weekend. Even though we didn't win tonight, I believe this team may be the best in the country. I told the team at halftime we were going to win the game. There wasn't one second during this game that I felt like we were going to lose."

UAB saw a school record 13-match winning streak end.

©Copyright 1999 All Rights Reserved