Liverpool win at Cardiff, as Everton hammer Manchester United - Soccer Times

Liverpool win at Cardiff, as Everton hammer Manchester United


The Premier League games on Sunday featured teams who were in the title race, the fight for the Champions League spots and also the relegation battle. Here is what happened in those crucial games:

Toffees hammer sorry United

The early game of the day saw Everton hammer Manchester United 4-0 at Goodison Park. The home side enjoyed near total dominance against a dishevelled Red Devils side.

Everton took just 13 minutes to break the deadlock. Dominic Calvin-Lewin flicked on Lucas Digne’s long throw and Brazilian forward Richarlison produced a superb overhead kick from six yards out that comfortably beat David De Gea in the visitor’s goal. The home side doubled their lead on 28 minutes. Gylfi Sigurdsson received the ball halfway in the United half, advanced and hit a low long-range effort that once again beat De Gea comfortably in the visitor’s goal.

It only got worse for United in the second half, as Everton added a third goal on 56 minutes. De Gea punched a Sigurdsson corner clear to the edge of the box, where Digne fired a powerful half-volley past the Spaniard. The Toffees put more gloss on the victory on 64 minutes, as Theo Walcott latched onto a Sigurdsson through-ball and despite a poor first touch advanced on De Gea before firing past the United ‘keeper.

United had their first attempt on target with five minutes left, as Jordan Pickford saved an Anthony Martial effort. By then, though, Everton had sealed the three points.

The result moved Everton up to seventh place, which may be enough for European football next season. The Red Devils are two points outside the Champions League spot with a big derby clash against Manchester City on Wednesday night.

Liverpool record win in the Welsh capital

In one of the 4 PM kick-offs, Liverpool recorded a 2-0 win at relegation-threatened Cardiff to move back to the top of the table, two points clear of second place champions Manchester City in the race for the title.

Cardiff came close to taking an early lead when Andy Robertson blocked a low effort from Junior Hoilett. At the other end of the pitch, Roberto Firmino fired over on 22 minutes following good work from Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.

Mane saw a shot blocked on 31 minutes after good play from Trent Alexander-Arnold. Cardiff ‘keeper Neil Etheridge was soon in action smothering a Salah effort before Alisson produced a good save from Everton loanee Oumar Niasse.

The visitors took control in the second half, as Mane fired over the bar and Alexander-Arnold fired wide of goal with an effort. The Reds did finally find a way through on 57 minutes through a cleverly worked corner kick routine. Alexander-Arnold found Georginio Wijnaldum on the edge of the area and the Dutchman produced a fantastic finish. Jordan Henderson then blazed over the bar from six yards out after Mane’s pull-back.

Cardiff missed a golden opportunity equalise soon afterwards when Bluebirds centre-back Sean Morrison somehow missed the target from close-range after Allison had allowed a corner kick flash through his hands. The visitors added to the home sides misery with nine minutes left on the clock. Salah went down dramatically under a challenge from Morrison in the penalty area and James Milner made no mistake with the resulting spot kick.

Despite regaining the lead in the title race, Liverpool still second favourites behind reigning champions Manchester City to win the title this season. Cardiff remain three points from safety but have played an extra game than 17th place Brighton.

Sunday’s other Premier League result

Arsenal 2-3 Crystal Palace

Can Cardiff still survive the drop this season?

Categories: News

This week’s most popular

Previous Post
PFA Players’ Player of the Year nominees announced for season 2018/19
Next Post
The odd stumble from Wolverhampton Wanderers