Soccer Times

Multiple European leagues suspended due to coronavirus outbreak

Multiple European leagues suspended due to coronavirus outbreak
Multiple European leagues suspended due to coronavirus outbreak March 13, 2020 March 13, 2020 Harry Kettle
Embed from Getty Images

Over the course of the last 48 hours or so the face of association football has changed dramatically, with the majority of top leagues across the world being either postponed or cancelled as a direct result of the impact from the coronavirus outbreak. COVID-19 has been pinpointed as an issue for many months now, stemming back to late 2019 when the outbreak first began in Wuhan, China.

The expectation was that it would eventually make its way over to Europe, North America and a variety of other continents, but few could’ve imagined it would spread quite as quickly as it has done. While around 68,000 people have recovered as of this writing, 5,000 deaths and plenty more on the way has left the majority fearing what’s next.

Football isn’t anywhere near as important as some make it out to be in a time of crisis such as this, but again, it is worth noting that there is a very good chance the majority of campaigns across Europe’s top leagues will not conclude.

Premier League

“Following a meeting of Shareholders today, it was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time.

Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said: “Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by COVID-19.

“In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.”

Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so.

In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Source: Premier League

La Liga

“Given the circumstances that are coming to light this morning, referring to the quarantine established in Real Madrid and the possible cases in players from other clubs, LaLiga considers it appropriate to continue to the next phase of the protocol of action against COVID-19.  As a result, in accordance with the measures established in Royal Decree 664/1997 of May 12, it agrees to postpone at least the next two match days.

Said decision will be reevaluated after the completion of the quarantines decreed in the affected clubs and the other possible situations that may arise.

LaLiga, as organizer of the competition, has proceeded to communicate its decision to the Spanish football federation (RFEF), the High Sports Council (CSD) and the Clubs.”

Source: La Liga

Serie A

Serie A has been suspended due to the Coronavirus‘ continued spread throughout Italy.

It had been rumoured over the weekend that football would be forced to take an indefinite break, and those whispers gained weight with Minister for Health Vincenzo Spadafora stating his support for bringing things to a halt.

Italy’s National Olympic Committee (CONI) met on Monday afternoon and requested that the government stopped all sport from continuing.

Later on Monday evening, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte confirmed that Serie A would be suspended.”

Source: Marca

MLS

“Major League Soccer has suspended match play for 30 days, effective immediately, as the league continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with its medical task force and public health officials.

At the appropriate time, the league and clubs will communicate plans for the continuation of the 2020 season and update the status of league events.

“Our clubs were united today in the decision to temporarily suspend our season – based on the advice and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), and other public health authorities, and in the best interest of our fans, players, officials and employees,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “We’d like to thank our fans for their continued support during this challenging time.”

Source: MLS

Bundesliga

“Due to the continued spread of Coronavirus (Covid-19), several sporting events will be staged behind closed doors, including numerous games involving Bundesliga clubs.”

Source: Bundesliga

At this moment in time, the expectation is that the Bundesliga will fall in line with the remainder of top clubs around Europe. We’ll keep you updated on the latest as we have it.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Harry Kettle

Harry Kettle


English professional sports writer with an interest in pro wrestling, MMA, athletics & more. As well as working for soccertimes.com, Harry has formerly been produced content for FOX Sports Asia & TheLADbible