Everton and West Ham suffer giant-killings in the FA Cup - Soccer Times

Everton and West Ham suffer giant-killings in the FA Cup


On Saturday the FA Cup fourth round continued and the competition famous for giant-killings did not disappoint with two major giant killings. Here is what happened on a day and night full of drama:

Lions tame the Toffees at the Den

Everton trip to Championship strugglers Millwall always looked like a tough one, in every sense. It turned out to be so or the Toffees, who suffered a 3-2 defeat in an entertaining encounter at the Den.

The first half lacked quality, as the away side silenced the highly partisan home crowd. The visitors took the lead just two minutes before the break. Richarlison’s effort skidded towards goal and Millwall goalkeeper Jordan Archer allowed the ball to slip through his hands into the net.

The goal did not deter the home side though and the Lions equalised in first-half stoppage-time. A set piece resulted in Millwall striker Leo Gregory looping a header past the hapless Jordan Pickford in the visitor’s goal.

The weather affected the quality of the second half. Everton did manage to finally produce some quality attacking play on 72 minutes when Gylfi Sigurdsson played substitute Cenk Tosun in on goal and the Turkey international fired past Archer.

Millwall would not be beaten though and equalised just three minutes later in a controversial fashion. Another set-piece found its way into the net off the arm of Jake Cooper. The Everton players were outraged as was boss Marco Silva.

Without the use of VAR referee Michael Oliver decided to book a number of Everton players for their protests, despite the official’s getting the decision badly wrong. Worse was to come for the beleaguered Premier League outfit in stoppage-time, as Murray Wallace had the freedom of the penalty area to fire home the winner from close-range.

The win was a famous one for the Lions, who have now won their last five cup ties against Premier League opposition at the Den. The defeat has just added mounting pressure on Toffees boss Silva, who is now one of the favourites to be the next top-flight bosses to leave their job.

Dons see off the Hammers

The late kick-off in the FA Cup saw another shock result, as League One strugglers AFC Wimbledon defeated Premier League West Ham 4-2 at Kingsmeadow.

Javier Hernandez hit the post for the visitors before the home side took the lead on 34 minutes, as Kwesi Appiah’s effort from 20 yards out took a massive deflection off Angelo Ogbonna to leave Adrian with no chance in the visitor’s goal.

The home side went in at half-time two goals up, as striker Scott Wagstaff raced onto an Appiah through ball and fired home at the near post.

Things got even better for the Dons just seconds into the second period, as Wagstaff flicked a sublime effort home after another good piece of play by Appiah. The visitors got a goal back just before the hour mark, as Lucas Perez pounced on a rebound after Aaron Ramsdale had saved a Michail Antonio shot.

The hope of a comeback for the visitors grew when with just 19 minutes remaining substitute Felipe Anderson scored a free-kick from 25 yards out. However, the home side sealed the victory with two minutes left on the clock. Young substitute Toby Sibbick headed home from close-range from a Wordsworth cross.

The goal cued wild celebrations from the home fans who have had little to celebrate this season. West Ham certainly paid the price for perceived complacency.

Saturday’s other Premier League results

Accrington 0-1 Derby

Newcastle 0-2 Watford

Shrewsbury 2-2 Wolves

Brighton 0-0 West Brom

Doncaster 2-1 Oldham

Middlesbrough 1-1 Newport

Manchester City 5-0 Burnley

Portsmouth 1-1 QPR

Swansea 4-1 Gillingham

Did the lower league teams deserve their wins against their Premier League opponents?

Categories: News

This week’s most popular

Previous Post
Red Devils end the Gunners FA Cup campaign at the Emirates
Next Post
Fantasy Football ones to watch season 2018/19 gameweek 24